5 Ways To Overcome Low Self-Esteem
Before we dive into the 5 ways to overcome low self-esteem,let’s understand why low self-esteem will continue to affect our confidence level until we start thinking highly of our self. Knowing our confidence level isn’t where we want it to be can be very stressful and alarming in some cases. The good news is, we can change the way we feel about ourselves.
Understanding Low Self-Esteem
Low self-esteem is characterized by a lack of confidence and feeling badly about oneself. It leads to feelings of incompetence, worthlessness, and a lack of confidence in a person. Someone with low self-esteem tends to be hypersensitive and gets easily wounded by others.
Low self-esteem can be deeply rooted, with origins in traumatic childhood experiences such as prolonged separation from parent figures or neglect and in some adulthood experiences such as, sexual abuse, losing a job, failed relationships/getting divorced, discrimination (sexual orientation, race, religion etc) and a general sense of lack of control.
People with low self-esteem often see themselves as victims and the world a brutal and hostile place. As a result, they are reluctant to express themselves, take action and may sometimes miss out on opportunities.
8 Signs of Low Self-Esteem
- Being self-critical and always apologizing
- Easily influenced by peers
- Always blaming
- Putting themselves down
- Over-reacting to situations and things
- Not willing to learn new things
- Avoiding challenges
- Been unable to solve problems or make choices
Overcoming Low Self-Esteem
If you feel that you suffer from poor self-esteem, there are a number of simple things that you can do to boost yourself and, hopefully, break out of the downward spiral and increase your self-confidence.
5 Things You Can Do Today To Boost Your Confidence.
- Seek help: There are so many alternatives out there that can break you out of the downward spiral. Seeking professional assistance is a must. Don’t “figure” it out by yourself. We’ve helped so many people with the aide of our effective hypnotherapy/hypnosis program to change their self-limiting beliefs and boost their confidence and change their lives permanently. Book your appointment here.
- Think Positive: Thinking positive about your self will start changing the way you see, carry and express yourself. All you have to do is when moments of doubt kicks in, just refocus your attention on something positive about yourself. Once we focus our attention on something different the subconscious mind follows in that direction.
- Visualize Differently: Start visualizing what it is you want to achieve and overcome vs constant thinking about what you don’t want. Your mind follows and acts on your dominating thoughts.
- Do something you weren’t doing earlier: Brush your teeth, take a shower/bath, do your laundry etc. Once you start doing the things you weren’t doing earlier, you’ll start increasing your confidence level gradually. Remember the saying, “Little drops of water, makes a mighty ocean”.
- Affirm Yourself: Affirmations are a great way to help direct our thoughts and emotions. Instead of calling yourself names and words such as “stupid” “ugly”, call yourself smart, intelligent, optimistic etc.
Finally, remember the wise words of Lao Tzu: “Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend.